If seafood is your thing then cuttlefish, also known as squid, calamari or “dallo”, should be a favorite. Growing up in Sri Lanka, my husband and I have fallen in love with the taste of cuttlefish cooked, fried and salad. The guys love it paired with an evening of local coconut arrak or beer. Although this dish is mostly for family dinners, it is a well loved at all occasions.
- Cuttlefish (squid or calamari) – 600g cleaned and cut into rings
- Shallots – 2 sliced
- Garlic – 3 cloves minced
- Ginger – 1/2 inch piece minced
- Green chilies – 2 thinly sliced
- Curry leaves – 10 leaves
- Pandan – 2 inch piece bruised
- Tomatoes – 1 large diced
- Chilli powder – 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Raw curry powder – 1 teaspoon (recipe found here)
- Turmeric – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cinnamon sticks – 1 inch piece broken
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Black pepper powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Tamarind juice – 2 tablespoons
- Coconut milk – 50ml thick and 50ml thin
- Salt to taste
- Put all ingredients, except the coconut milk, into a saucepan.
- Cover and cook on medium heat until the liquid from the cuttlefish comes out.
- Add the thin coconut milk. Mix and cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- Add the thick coconut milk and bring to a boil on low heat.
- Adjust the thickness of the curry by adding more thin coconut milk or by letting the curry reduce.
- Turn off the heat and adjust salt to taste.
- Serve hot with fresh soft bread.