Roasted curry powder is a key ingredient in many Sri Lankan curry dishes, especially meat dishes. This can be store bought in Sri Lanka but is hard to find abroad. Also the homemade version tastes better as you can modify the ingredients according to personal taste.
- Coriander seeds – 4 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds – 2 tablespoons
- Fennel seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Black pepper corns – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cardomom – 4 pods
- Cloves – 4 pods
- Curry leaves – 25 leaves
- Cinnamon sticks – 1 inch piece (broken)
- Sesame seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Dry roast curry leaves until dry but not burnt. Be careful to retain the color.
- Dry roast all other ingredients separately until golden brown.
- After the mix cools, put all ingredients in a grinder and grind into a fine powder. While grinding, open the lid periodically to let the steam escape.
- Sift to filter any ungrounded pieces and repeat until all the ingredients are ground into a fine powder.
- Store in an airtight container.